7 Hit And Run Accident Tips
December 29, 2017 | By admin
There is no worse feeling than returning to your car, truck or motorcycle only to find that someone damaged it and then ran off. Actually, the only way it gets worse is if you are involved in the accident and the culprit decides to drive away without a care, thinking they could just get away with the hit and run they just committed.
In the face of an unfortunate circumstance like a hit and run there are many do’s and don’t’s you should be mindful of if you are the victim. Here are seven hit and run accident tips you should follow:
- If you happen to be returning to your vehicle when the culprit is on their way out, your natural instinct might be to pursue. But instead of giving chase, for your own safety you should stay where you are and instead take in the vehicle — color, make, model, license plate number — and any recognizable characteristics of the driver if possible.
- Your next step is to call the police to report the incident. Everything you took notice of in Step 1 should be passed along to the officer responding to your call.
- If available, make sure to look for any witnesses that may have been on hand for the hit and run. Ask if they would be willing to give a statement in regards to what happened. Their help can prove extremely helpful in building your case.
- After finding witnesses, do a thorough search of the area in which the accident took place. Nowadays, many storefronts and businesses and even residential housing have cameras equipped. Check to see if any footage of the hit and run was caught. If the hit and run occurred at an intersection, there might be red-light cameras that captured video. See if you can have those cameras checked as well.
- The next step is to assess the damage and document it. Take photos of any and all damage to the vehicle. These will serve as a comparison and lend a hand in evaluating the extent of the damage. If you were injured in the hit and run you should seek medical attention immediately. Make sure to document any medical expenses incurred as a result.
- The next step – and one of the most important – is to contact a lawyer. They can help you look over your insurance policy before you contact them. It is important to have a lawyer know the ins and outs of your coverage to make sure you get what you deserve.
- The final step is to contact your insurance company and file a claim. Be sure to utilize the photos, police report, witnesses and any other things you documented about the accident.
A hit and run incident can be exhausting and is definitely a hassle to deal with. If you or a loved one was involved in a hit and run accident in New Jersey you should contact the experienced attorneys at Lombardi and Lombardi, P.A. Call 866-523-3121for an initial consultation today.
The articles on this blog are for informative purposes only and are no substitute for legal advice or an attorney/client relationship. If you are seeking legal advice, please contact our law firm directly.