Jamie D. Happas P.J.CV. (RET.)
All New Jersey Locations
Judge Happas served as a Superior Court Judge for 20 years handling Family, Mass Tort and Civil matters. She was the Presiding Judge of the Civil Division for eleven years. Prior to her appointment to the bench she was a trial attorney handling all facets of civil litigation. During her judicial tenure she handled every case type filed in the Civil Division and settled thousands of cases.
Judge Happas has been a member of several Supreme Court Committees including the Civil Practice Committee, Evidence Committee, the Arbitration Advisory Committee, and the Information Technology Advisory Committee. Judge Happas was also the past Chair of the Conference of Civil Presiding Judges.
Judge Happas is a member of the New Jersey State and Middlesex County Bar Associations and the Middlesex County Trial Lawyers Association. She is a past Trustee of the Middlesex County Bar Association and a former President of the Middlesex County Trial Lawyers Association.
Both prior to and after her appointment to the Bench, the Judge taught numerous courses for the New Jersey Institute for Continuing Legal Education, the New Jersey Association of Justice and the Middlesex County and New Jersey State Bar Associations. She lectured on a variety of topics for the New Jersey Judicial College and was involved with developing and teaching the Comprehensive Judicial Orientation Program (CJOP) to Judges new to the Civil Division.
Judge Happas received her B.A. with Honors from Rutgers College (and is member of Phi Beta Kappa), M.A. from Rutgers University-Eagleton Institute of Politics and her J.D. from Seton Hall Law School
Areas Of Practice
Admissions (Bar & Court)
- NEW JERSEY 1986
- PENNSYLVANIA 1986
- DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA 1989
- U.S. DISTRICT COURT-DISTRICT OF NEW JERSEY 1986
- UNITED STATES COURT OF APPEALS FOR THE THIRD CIRCUIT 1987
- UNITED STATES SUPREME COURT 1990
- RUTGERS COLLEGE, 1982 B.A. with honors in Political Science. Honors: Phi Beta Kappa
- RUTGERS UNIVERSITY-EAGLETON INSTITUTE OF POLITICS (Harold Martin Fellowship), 1983 M.A. PUBLIC POLICY
- SETON HALL LAW SCHOOL, 1986 J.D.
Associations & Memberships
- NEW JERSEY STATE BAR ASSOCIATION (MEMBER)
- MIDDLESEX COUNTY BAR ASSOCIATION (MEMBER AND PAST TRUSTEE)
- MIDDLESEX COUNTY TRIAL LAWYERS ASSOCIATION (MEMBER AND PAST PRESIDENT)