5 people sitting around a desk with 2 books open

Firm Blog

information on firm news, case law,

FAQ & more

Let's Talk

When legal challenges present themselves, they can have a tremendous impact on your life. Tell us what happened to find out what your case is worth and see how we can help.

The consultation is free!

Find out what your case is worth

New Jersey Car Crash: Can I Sue for my Pain and Suffering?

If you’re a licensed driver in New Jersey, then you already know that the law requires you to purchase personal injury protection (PIP) insurance before you even hit the road. While you likely bought this policy without thinking twice about it, it’s important to understand how this policy comes into play if you get into a car accident in our state.

Related blog: An Overview Of The Most Common Car Accident Injuries

How New Jersey’s No-Fault System Works

New Jersey courtrooms operate on a no-fault system, which helps reduce the amount of car accident lawsuits. When you get into a crash in New Jersey, you’ll need to seek out compensation from your own PIP insurance provider first. You need to take this action regardless of who was at fault for your crash. The majority of car accident claims can get settled with compensation from insurance providers. Your insurance provider will likely only be able to cover minor injuries, though. When you have a more significant or serious injury, then your PIP insurance compensation might not cover it all.

What happens if you’ve been compensated by your PIP insurance but you’re still paying out-of-pocket for other expenses? When this scenario happens, you can pursue a lawsuit against the driver who was at fault. You can seek out damages in the form of medical bills, lost wages and property damage to your vehicle.

Related blog: How Is My Automotive Insurance Claim Affected If I Was Partially At Fault?

Can I Still Seek out Damages for my Pain and Suffering?

Are you suffering from financial losses as a result of your physical or emotional pain and suffering? If that’s the case, then you need to look further into the insurance policy you purchased.

If you have an unlimited-right-to-sue plan, then you can seek out a claim. If you purchased a limited-right-to-sue plan, then you might not be able to seek out compensation in the form of pain and suffering from the driver who caused your accident. Whether or not you can pursue these damages hinges on the severity of your injury. New Jersey courtrooms typically allow you to sue for pain and suffering when your injury is permanent or life-altering. If you’re facing these circumstances, then it’s advised you reach out to an attorney right away. They’ll help you determine the best legal option for you moving forward.

Contact an Edison Personal Injury Lawyer to Discuss Your Car Accident Case in New Jersey

Did you or a loved one sustain serious injuries due to a car accident in New Jersey? Don’t let the medical bills pile up while you wait for the negligent party or their insurance company to do the right thing. Right now, you need an aggressive personal injury attorney on your side, fighting to get you the compensation you need, want, and deserve. The skilled attorneys at Lombardi and Lombardi, P.A. represent clients injured because of car accidents in Brick, Freehold, Point Pleasant, and throughout New Jersey. Call (732)-709-7992 or fill out our online contact form to schedule a consultation about your case. We have an office conveniently located at 1862 Oak Tree Road Edison, NJ 08820 as well as offices in Brick, Freehold, and Point Pleasant.

The articles on this blog are for informative purposes only and are no substitute for legal advice or an attorney-client relationship. If you are seeking legal advice, please contact our law firm directly.



Lead Counsel in the Durham Woods Gas Pipeline Explosion



Severe head injury due to a motor vehicle accident



Medical malpractice resulting in spinal cord injury

Super Lawyers National Trial Lawyers Top 100 NJ Supreme Court Certified NJ Supreme Court Certified