New Jersey Car Accident Attorneys Handle Rear-End Collision Cases in Edison, Brick, Freehold & Throughout NJ
Drivers have a duty to maintain a safe stopping distance when driving on roads. The NJ Department of Motor Vehicles recommends a safe driving distance of one car length or 20 feet for every 10 mph of speed. Unfortunately, rear-end collisions are an all-too-frequent occurrence on NJ roadways. A rear-end collision is especially likely to occur during a traffic jam with stop-and-go traffic because there is less space for drivers to maneuver and a greater chance that drivers will be frustrated.
At Lombardi and Lombardi, our lawyers have been helping auto accident victims and their families in Middlesex, Ocean and Monmouth counties for the past 35 years. If you have been injured due to the negligence of another driver in a rear-end collision in a motor vehicle accident, we offer a free consultation to discuss your case.
Rear-End Collisions Are Extremely Dangerous and Can Result in Serious Injuries
According to the National Safety Council, rear-end collisions are the most prevalent type of collision in the US. There were more than 500,000 nonfatal rear-end collisions at intersections with lights in 2009.
Rear-end collisions can result in severe injuries, including:
- Whiplash injuries: These can be extremely painful and can require many months of difficult recovery and rehabilitation. Rear-end collisions result in a violent back-and-forth movement that causes injuries to the back and neck. The impact of a rear-end collision causes a person inside the vehicle to jerk backward into their seat. When the person comes in contact with the seat, they are almost immediately thrown forward. Although a seatbelt will protect a person’s life by keeping him or her from flying through the windshield, it can also cause damage to a person’s neck and back areas by propelling the person back into the seat.
- Neck and back injuries: These can often be caused by whiplash. It is not uncommon for the victim in a rear-end collision to suffer a herniated or ruptured disc. In extreme cases, the victim could be paralyzed.
- Broken bones: When the victim is thrown into hard surfaces on the interior of the car, he or she can suffer broken bones, fractures, and strains, particularly in the legs and arms.
- Brain trauma: Rear-end collisions can cause a traumatic blow to the victim’s head, leading to dangerous and scary closed head injuries.
- Airbag injuries: Although airbags typically reduce the risk of injury in a car crash, airbags can actually cause injuries because they deploy with explosive force.
- Death: A rear-end collision can result in wrongful death.
Rear-end collisions can occur in a variety of circumstances. A rear-end collision typically occurs in one of the following circumstances:
- Following too closely or “tailgating”
- Rapid acceleration
- Adverse road conditions such as icy or wet roads
- Distracted driving
- Driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs DUI
In New Jersey, the driver who collides with the rear of another car is always presumed to be at fault for the accident. When liability is clear cut in a rear-end collision, NJ courts will often grant summary judgment or issue a directed verdict on liability. However, the legal process in New Jersey can be extremely confusing. Filing the proper claims against the correct parties can be difficult because the insurance claims process in New Jersey is incredibly complicated. An experienced personal injury attorney can help guide you through the complex legal system and ensure that you receive compensation for your injuries.
If You’ve Been Injured in a Rear-End Collision, Contact the Experienced Personal Injury Lawyers at Lombardi & Lombardi for a Free Consultation
The personal injury lawyers at Lombardi & Lombardi, P.A., have experience fighting insurance companies in NJ courts and will work tirelessly to get our clients the maximum compensation possible. Leave the legal decisions to a professional; your most important job is to focus on your health and your recovery.
Call our experienced rear-end collision lawyers today or simply use our online contact form. We have offices in Brick Township and Freehold Township, and we offer weekend and evening appointments.
Our Practice Areas
- Personal Injury
- Motor Vehicle Accidents
- Bike/Pedestrian Accidents
- Boating and Recreational Accidents
- Car Accidents
- Causes of Truck Accidents
- Distracted Driving Accidents
- Drunk Driving Accidents
- Highway Accidents
- How New Jersey No-Fault Insurance Works
- Intersection Accidents
- Left Turn Accidents
- Motorcycle Accidents
- Rear-End Collisions
- Truck Accidents
- Uber/Lyft Accidents
- Uninsured and Underinsured Motorist Claims
- Premises Liability
- Products Liability
- Nursing Home Abuse
- Worker's Comp
- Medical Malpractice
- DUI & DWI
- Criminal Defense
- Employment Law
- Municipal Traffic Violations